Rooftop cargo bags are a brilliant campervan storage solution
As vanlifers, what could we all could use more of? More space inside the van.
The best rooftop cargo bags will allow you to store the items that you don’t need inside while traveling.
These rooftop bags tend to be generous in size, so even large items can be stored inside. This gives you more room to inside your van.
- Folding chairs
- Extra food and clothing
- Dirty clothes, towels, sheets and more
Rooftop bags aren’t only convenient for storage when traveling, they’re compact and fold down easily, so you don’t need a lot of space to store the rooftop bag at home or at the camp site.
Some things to consider before buying
Many factors impact the effectiveness of rooftop cargo bags. We’ve detailed the the crucial features and important aspects to look for when purchasing your rooftop cargo bag.
As you know, the weather can be fickle, so make sure your cargo bag is waterproof.
The best rooftop Cargo bags will have a high level waterproof rating, ensuring that the water from heavy or long rain won’t seep through the bag and damage your belongings.
Waterproof ratings also ensure the bag can be cleaned. The environments that you’re traveling in will make the bag dirty. When you come home you must be able to clean the bag to maintain its longevity and keep it from dirtying other items.
A good waterproof rating also allows for thorough cleaning of the bag when you get home, ensuring a long life for your cargo bag.
The size of the rooftop bag needs to fit the dimensions of your vans roof. The roof generally can fit one large bag, though it’s possible to fit two bags for extra carrying capacity.
The size of the rooftop bag needs to still leave space for additional items you want to carry on the roof such as a bike or storage box.
Rooftop cargo bags differ in terms of the ways they’re secured to campervans. Your campervan must have the correct features to support this such as a rooftop rack.
If you don’t have a roof rack, you’ll need to fasten the bag with ratchet straps, so be mindful of this when choosing a bag.
There are some rooftop cargo bags that are made of poor quality material. It’s wise to invest in a higher quality brand. You won’t have to deal with other expenses such as replacing the bag or other gear.
Amazon reviews allow you to choose the best rooftop cargo bags for your campervan and we highly recommend reading them carefully.
Mounting on your rooftop
Some rooftop cargo bags can be mounted to your roof using only the straps provided, but some will work much better with a rack installed, so read reviews and features carefully to be sure.
If you’re mounting without a rack, you might consider adding a cargo bag protective mat to your order.
Here’s a great accessory for when you need a boost to access your rooftop cargo bag.
It doesn’t look like much at a glance, but it’s a very valuable tool that will give you the boost you need when it’s time to access your roof bag.
The best rooftop cargo bags are a great investment for your campervan
Rooftop cargo bags are what you need to make travelling convenient. It’s important you purchase one that matches your needs and the above features. All your future trips will be more enjoyable and effortless thanks to the addition of the best rooftop cargo bag.
- The extra space provided by a rooftop bag for your van is crucial
- Get chairs, tents, toys and dirty clothes out of the van while traveling
- Weather proofing is a major factor in choosing your cargo bag
- Locks and heavy material provide a sense of ease when it’s time to leave the van on it’s own
- Many dimensions are available so measure and choose the best rooftop cargo bag size for your van
- There’s no pay off in choosing the cheap option. Get a bag that will last
Recommended rooftop cargo bags for your campervan
- Made of 100% waterproof material. Also protects against dirt, sunlight, and wind
- Designed for cars without roof racks, but also works with a rack
- Strong straps wide enough to hold it firmly in place.
- Fits on roof w/out rack, cross bars, side rails and rooftop baskets
- 3,000 pound strength seat belt type straps for securing carrier to any Van
- Made in the USA. One year warranty.
- Two sizes: #11 fits cars, SUVs and vans. #15 fits SUVs, vans and full-size sedans
- Comes with everything needed to install
- The Vault Rooftop Cargo Bag straps to roof bars with ratchet and lashing straps
- Tough canvas construction protects cargo from weather elements and road grit
- 15 cubin feet of carrying capacity
- 15 CU feet storage
- Fits roof racks with attachment on all sides (if less than four sides, caution should be taken for security)
- Protects cargo from grit, sun, rain, wind
- Folds down for easy storage.
- 44 inches x 34 inches x 17 inches
- 100 percent waterproof
- Built with highest quality materials
- 37.5 inches x 37.5 inches x 18 inches
- Big, strong straps and buckles for more secure loads
- The OXBOUND roof bag features a large velcro secured flap that totally covers the zipper
- Free mat included for roof protection. Prevents slipping and scratching of your roof
- Free duffel bag for storage when not in use, or use it to store your stuff INSIDE the bag!
- Cinch system firmly secures contents
- Unzip to expand from 339 L to 453 L
- 1040 mm x 890 mm x 380 or 480 mm. 40″ x 34″ x 16″ to 41″ x 35″ x 24″
- Weather proof for excellent protection
- 5-year limited warranty